Friday, May 27, 2011

This Time is Ours! What Will You Make of It Before Life Grows Up Around Us?

Since this is still partly a Motherhood Blog, I thought today would be a good time to share some of my recent motherhood reflections.  It is so easy for me to get wrapped up with daily life and lose myself in things that are not really that important.  I get buried in my to-do list, 
errands to run
 lunches to make
fights to break up
workouts I want to fit in
self-care (yes, moms, we are allowed some self-care time!)
responding to e-mail
writing


This list goes on. And on.  And on.  And really, it will never end. NEVER!  The house will never be perfect, the dishes won't all be done, I'll never have responded to all your e-mails and comments, my stack of books won't disappear and read themselves.


  But what will happen is:


My KIDS Will Grow up!  
They won't be children forever,
    Their child-like wonder and mischievous grins will fade.  
They won't always have dirty little fingers and toes that leave a trail throughout the house.
My almost two year old won't always find such simple joy in just standing on the toilet to reach the sink. Experiencing such fascination with just turning the water on and dumping it from one cup to the next.  And on the floor.
I won't always have this mess to clean up.  Wet towels in clumps on the floor, sopping up the dripping mess of fun for one curious boy....who is learning. 


The tug at my leg with the request to read 
     "one more story mommy!" 
will eventually fade away.  


The magic of the jewel fairy won't always be alive and they will have figured out that the jewels that once held so much power and opened a door into their deepest imagination...
    were really just a dollar bag of decorative rocks from the local craft store.  



They won't always believe that fairies really live in the home they built just for them.




Watching movies in a cardboard fairy house in the living room will someday 
be
"Not Cool" 
and they will be asking for money and a ride to the movie theater with their BFFs.  




The little green shoes.
Ah, the little green shoes,
will be put away in a box and a story of "remember when..."


I won't always have muddy hands to wipe down after a good dig in the back yard, pet "roly poly" bugs living in my kitchen with a slice of potato to eat. 


There won't always be glitter around the house and little feet to walk through it.






The house won't always be buzzing with playful screams and kids flying down the hallway trying to capture each other.  
Even the tantrums, the fights, the "that's not fairs" and "whys"
    that are learning opportunities 
For all of us...
They will be no more.   


I may not have my life in complete order.  I may feel crazy most days and think I'm losing my mind.  It might be days on end before I shave my legs or put make up or go out of the house without a hat.  My bathroom counter might always be covered in little girl hair accessories, make up, lotion, cleaning supplies and toothpaste and I may never have the trail of hair ties fully picked up from the floors. I may never master the art of having dinner planned, prepared and ready for my family so I don't call my husband and have him order Thai for the 3rd time in one month. I will always have something else that I could do. 


But what I do have...
   only if I'm lucky 
And remember to notice it while it is still here,
    Is an opportunity to truly embrace this time with my children.  
These fleeting moments.
Precious.
Only once and no "re-dos"!  
This time is mine to make it as magical and memorable as I possibly can!  
This
This time
   and what I choose to do with it,
Is what is Important!  Not all the other stuff that will still be there when THEY aren't.  



1.  IN all seriousness, I wanted to touch a bit on this Circle of Moms list that you've seen so many of you asking/begging/annoying you about.  What is it anyway?  Well, when I first found out about it, I was excited to be on the list because of what it stands for: fitness and motherhood. I think this is what my blog really is all about.  What does it mean to be on this list?  Really, not too much other than the fact that others see it and visit my blog.  Is my blog a published blog? No.  Is it one of the big ones that has thousands of readers? No, not yet.  But I do enjoy writing and sharing my reflections on motherhood, life and fitness on here.  I do hope to make writing something BIGGER for me in the future.  My blog is a stepping stone.  An enjoyable "next step" in my life while I'm home being in the moment with my children.  I'm not all about seeking much more than just what I have and I LOVE that I've been blessed with the connections and friendships that I have because of this blog.  You are important to me and so is my blog, Runninghood.  Runninghood has become a familiar and lovely place for me to spend time with.  So, yes, I do want your votes but more importantly, I want you to vote for Runninghood because you think that I belong in the top of a list of blogs related to motherhood and fitness.  I believe that Runninghood does belong and this is just one more step to moving forward...as a writer, a mother, a runner.  So please keep voting.  It is almost over.  You can VOTE HERE or by clicking on the pink button at the top of my blog.  Every day until June 1st.  And you can vote for other blogs that you like too.  


2. Good luck to my dear friend Jenn on her 10k this weekend.  This is part of her training for marathon so it isn't her peak race and we all know that our legs are not always the FASTEST at the end of marathon training but I think no matter what happens...Jenn is a HUGE winner in my eyes.  Always.  Gifted beyond words...as a runner and so much more.  


3.  My very first Marathon since having kids and a serious injury is only a week away.  I am beyond excited and a bit emotional about it all!  I still have not reviewed the course, figured out how I will fuel during the race (I only used one GU the entire race for the last two marathons), what the weather will be like, etc.  I do know that I want to run fast.  I want to use my gifts to do the best that I can do and be strong.  I want this race to be a stepping stone for my next marathon.  I want to be the best Amanda can be!  This means more to me than something has meant in a LONG time!  Kind of choking up just writing this.  In the next post I will ask for all kinds of advice and last minute tips on pacing, fuel, etc.  




What is something in your life that you want to embrace a little more fully today and the days to come?  Something that won't always be there.  


Amanda

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive